Monday 29 April 2013

Pandan Chiffon Cake

This is my fourth attempt in trying to make this cake and I finally succeed for the first time! I was so happy that I finally made it.

I have always loved pandan cake because of the nice fragrance from the pandan leaves, plus the light and fluffy texture of the cake. Simply delicious.

Isn't this a very nice green colour?


 Ingredients 1

7 eggs Yolks
75g fresh coconut milk
Pandan extract (I use about 30 pandan leaves)
150g cake flour
4g baking powder (1 scant tsp)
95g sugar
3g salt
83g canola oil

Ingredients 2

7 egg whites
100g sugar


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 160 Deg C.

2. Beat egg yolks and sugar till it becomes pale, thick and creamy or mayonise-like.

3. Add coconut milk and pandan extract*. Add canola oil. Whisk till evenly mixed.

4.Sift in cake flour, salt and baking powder and gently whisk the mixture till evenly mixed. Put aside.

5. Add sugar to egg whites and beat till stiff peak.

6. Add the egg whites mixture to the egg yolks mixture in 3 batches and gently mixed.

7. Pour mixture to a 2 piece chiffon tin. Make sure the tin is not non-stick. This recipe is too much for a 21 inch pan, so if you have a bigger pan, you may want to use it. For me, I still have some leftovers after pouring to the pan, and I bake the remaining in cupcake cups instead.

8. Bake for about 45 mins

9. After the cake is removed from the oven, flip the tin upside down and let it cool. When the cake is cooled, you may loosen the cake by sliding the knife along the side.


 * For the pandan extract, I used 30 leaves and cut them into pieces. Blend them with 1/2 cup water and squeeze out the juices. Try to use younger leaves which are soft and moist, and they give better fragrance too. Older leaves tends to be dryer, so you may not get as much juices. If you can get pandan leaves anywhere, you can always find those artificial flavoring from your baking suppliers stores.




Tada! When the cake came out like that, I can't help it but smile immediately. :) Love it. Looks pretty isn't it?


No comments:

Post a Comment